The Carmichaels School District contracted with HDG Architects for a project at the circa-1929 original Cumberland High School. Work included a renovation of the existing 119,000 SF Junior/Senior High School, as well as an 8,000 SF addition to serve as a new cafeteria with full-service kitchen, food-court-style eatery, and outdoor dining area. The new addition solved the facility’s need for a well-defined, centralized, and secure entrance for both students and visitors, while also providing a much-needed connection point at the heart of the existing school. The interior of the existing buildings were completely renovated to provide realigned classroom spaces for improved organization, better enhancing the District’s modernized teaching curriculum. Auditorium upgrades, new band, chorus, and multipurpose rooms, and renovations to the student lockers and library were completed as well. New windows, roof, and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems made the building more energy efficient. Additionally, historic 1920’s building materials like terrazzo and brickwork were repaired and restored. Exterior improvements included a new bus drop off, sidewalks, and a rain garden.
August 29, 2017